Saturday, May 29, 2010

washing powder....

We have had a bit of a sick house for the past week. Last week Annabel kept complaining that she had sore tummy and felt sick, but otherwise she seemed normal, she stilled played and ran around, but would just stop occasionally and grab her tummy. This went on for a few days so I kept an eye on her.

Then one night I was tucking her into bed I asked her how she was feeling and she said:
"A bit sick, but I'm okay Mum. I think it was just the washing powder I ate the other day."
Me: "What??!!" What did you eat????!!!"
Of course I panicked. Every cleaning product or household good has strong warning label "Keep out of reach of children" and a poisons information line to call in case it has been ingested.

Annabel just about fell out of bed with my sudden surge of panic. She thought she was in really big trouble so she was to scared to tell me anything. I managed to calm down though and I took her out to the laundry so she could show me what she had eaten and how much.
She told me that the other day she had tasted some that had fallen on the ground, thinking it was some sort of lollie. It was the day that Amelia had tried to do the washing for me and pulled a chair over to the bench top and started scooping out the powder. She is always wanting to help me! So then of course I felt terrible because I had not put the powder back in the cupboard away from little hands.

So then I called the poisons line and they were great. They basically said that she should be fine if she only ate a little bit and that if she hasn't been complaining of a burning mouth or throat she should be okay. Relief!

So we tucked her back into bed, and everything was fine, until 10 minutes later Annabel came running out and vomited all over the floor (hard floors though, thank goodness!). So it was then that I realised that she probably had a bit of a stomach bug as well, and that was probably more what was making her feel sick.

So all night and the next day I was up with her. She is quite a messy sick patient! I don't know how many times I had to mop the floors (even though she had a bucket next to her), and how many loads of washing I had to do that night but it was a lot! I was so scared that the rest of us were going to get it I over cleaned everything.

So that was an interesting week! Amelia managed to just get a bit of diarrhea, but not as bad as Annabel. So now we are all nearly back to good health, except now the girls both have runny noses and a cough, but I can handle that!

Today we are off to a birthday party for one of Annabel's little friends so the girls are very excited. I'll have pictures to post later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers